Saturday, February 4, 2012

Fun field trips

   I get antsy sometimes in the winter. Everything is grey and cold and blah. This winter we've been very lucky - we've seen 60 degree weather. Numerous times! I have tried to get Harrison out and test out some fun things around town. Some were better than others but hey, I'm still figuring this mom thing out! :0)

Field Trip #1: Winstead's
  Okay this doesn't really classify as a field trip per se but it still was fun. Harrison and I met up with two of our very special out of town friends for lunch after Christmas. Auntie Sue is living the dream in LA - she lives in Beverly Hills. (According to her, it's very economical...). Auntie James is staying nice and dry in Phoenix. We had a great time and Harrison was a perfect little flirt!!
I'm a ham. What can I say? (Photo by Aunt Susan)

Field Trip #2: Wonderscope
   This field trip has been in the works for months! We went with our good friend Cade and his mom, Tammy. (Remember them from swim lessons?) Anyway, we've been trying to get to Wonderscope since summer but something always seemed to come up. Wonderscope is an elementary school converted to a children's museum.
Just shopping.
   Each room has a different theme: Farm - you can pick your own veggies, Space - you can build ramps and play with Legos, Golf Ball - literally thousands of golf balls you can place on ramps of all kinds, Water - play with water (we skipped it for selfish mom reasons), etc... It was great! Harrison could have stayed in the golf ball room all day!
Mesmerized by golf balls. Typical boy!

Field Trip #3: Union Station and the trains!
   We lucked out that Adam was off on a weekend in January so we all headed downtown to Union Station. There is a free train exhibit I wanted Harrison to see. One of our malls has a train store that he loves going into. It's nothing too fancy but Harrison really likes watching the trains. Union Station didn't disappoint. Harrison started in his stroller but he saw some other kids playing with a train table. He had to get in on the action! 
Driving the trains! 
   We also let Harrison run around one of the open areas of Union Station. I got a great picture. Talk about an all American boy!!
See ya Mom and Dad!

Field Trip #4: Great Wolf Lodge
   This was our one epic fail field trip. Sad face. The alumnae group from the college I got my master's organized a one night stay at the Great Wolf Lodge. I thought it sounded awesome! Harrison loved swimming. He loves playing in the bath. This was a perfect winter activity. I mean their commercials do state it's 84 degrees in there... 
Watching the giant bucket dump the water out!
   Let's just say, while the room might be 84, the water was not. The three of us were shivering. Harrison didn't want to go in the water. He didn't really want to play either. It was a great place... if your kids were old enough to run around on their own. Oh well, you can't win them all right?
At least we had a yummy dinner and I got these ears!
I think that's all of our field trips for now! Next up - our January Ohio trip!
~Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment