Saturday, September 11, 2010

A day to remember

We've been hit. Hit hard. How hard, we don't yet know. The loss of life... is greater than any of us can possibly bear. In 1940, when London was being bombed - every night, night after night - Londoners scrawled a message on the rubble the next morning: 'We can take it,' they wrote. Well, New Yorkers are made of the same tough stuff. So can we! New York, and the United States, are stronger than any group of barbaric terrorists. The city is still here. It will be here tomorrow morning. It's going to be here forever.
~Rudy Giuliani


    I know my mom still remembers where she was when she learned of JFK's assassination. In 1968 she remembered having a 6pm curfew at KU. The student union had been burned to the ground, there was civil unrest and of course there was that war that no one liked going on. I'm sure my grandparents remembered where they were for D-Day and V-Day. 
    
    I think we were all hoping we'd be the one generation that wouldn't have to know those kind of events. And yet, here we are... remembering. 
    
    ... I went to my history class (Pre-Civil war history) in Westcoe Hall at KU. It was a Tuesday morning. The class started at 8am and released at 9:30am. Campus is still quiet at those hours. Not everyone is really moving yet. I walked back to my sorority house but when I got to the Chi-O fountain I heard some campus workers talking about something. I thought they were just talking about the stock market. I couldn't quite put it together. By the time I got to the house, I knew something terrible was wrong. My mom had already tried calling me several times. She told me to turn on the TV, asked if I was okay, and told me she loved me. It all seemed like a dream. I watched in silence, in disbelief. I felt scared and all the sudden very unsafe. I remember looking around my room, wandering if those cinderblock walls could really protect me. My security was gone...
Sept. 11, 2001: Pres. Bush Addresses the Nation - ABC News
    
    I pray that our children NEVER have to remember something as terrible as this. I pray that our children will know freedom and tolerance better than any generation before. I never want my baby to feel threatened or scared. Let's all take a moment today to think of those we lost and to thank those that helped. 
God bless America!
~Emily 

No comments:

Post a Comment