Saturday, September 11, 2010

The diaper question

    So today I officially started my quest to find the answer to the age-old question: Should I cloth diaper? I know, I have plenty of friends that right now are rolling their eyes, sighing, and wondering why I would even think to do that to myself. However, maybe it's not as bad as we think.
Old school cloth diapers
    Harrison and I wandered up to Lawrence to meet up with a KU friend, Audrey. Audrey is full of great cloth diapering information. She showed me different styles and different brands she had used. She demonstrated how the diapers work, how they are adjustable (meaning they can actually grow with baby), and told me how she washed them. To be honest, it didn't sound any worse than anything I'm doing right now. Okay yes, it's a different way of thinking and I admit it would take me some time to figure out how to do this efficiently but at least I'm not throwing away all those diapers, right?
    So what's my answer to the age-old question? I'm not sure yet. I think I'll have to try it out. I will try cloth diapers. Audrey advised me to start slowly so I'm now just trying to decide which brand I want to go with. So far, anything that says "Dads love it" or "Best for preventing leaks" is winning me over:0)
   Of course, I'll keep you posted with what we decide to do but in the meantime, promise me you won't roll your eyes or try to talk me out of it. I just have to find out for myself if this works for us.
~Emily

Want to learn more about cloth diapering? Try these sites. They're packed full of info!
The Diaper Jungle - has a great page about which detergents to use and mom opinions on different types of cloth diapers
Kelly's Closet - TONS of brands to choose from, including diaper packages
Happybottomus - a local store in Lee's Summit, MO - also includes diaper packages

4 comments:

  1. I soooo want to cloth, but there isn't a single diaper service up here in Cleveland that I can find! Ugh.. you'll have to keep me updated as to how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, we'll keep you posted. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. we love cloth diapering--we did Josiah in prefolds and covers since 1 month (and my husband even learned and became an expert at the prefold technique!!)!! one of my favorite websites for info is green mountain diapers (just google it). =) if you decide to do it, just mentally give yourself about 1 to 2 months to get used to the routine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Becca:0) I think right now we're thinking pockets and maybe fitteds. Prefolds seem a little intimidating:0) Hope you're feeling well!!

    ReplyDelete