Saturday, December 18, 2010

'Tis the season to be....jolly??

   This time of the year is hard. I want to enjoy getting ready for Christmas and enjoy the change in the weather, but it's easier to say than do.
   First of all let's talk about putting Christmas up. I'm the type of person that likes to clean before putting decorations up. Seriously, since Harrison's been born, I bet we've dusted maybe 5 times. I hate dusting because I hate moving everything off the shelf to get everything clean. So I have avoided a lot of our Christmas decorations because I don't want to clean.
   Next is the tree. I don't mind putting the tree up but I'm very OCD about fluffing the branches and spacing the ornaments out just so and adjusting the garland... you get the idea. Thank god Adam isn't like me and he just throws that thing up and can decorate it at Superman speed. We used to put up 2-3 trees but that was also when I hosted a cookie exchange so I wanted the house to look nice. We haven't hosted the party in 2 years, so needless to say I've lost all my motivation to decorate.
   On to shopping. Adam and I take our Christmas shopping very seriously. We have 3 sides of our family to plan for - the Monahans, the Thieles and the Peaks. Adam is very good at researching what all 5 of his siblings are into. Together we tackle the parents and my brother. And, we don't mind shopping. We're good at shopping actually. What we do mind is the insane amount of other people shopping too. I'm not fond of lines or crowds. I like to get in and get out. I don't like stalking people in the parking lot for a parking spot. Above all, I hate waiting at restaurants that normally do not have a wait at 8:30 at night!
   Lastly, finals. Of course if it's December that means finals are close at hand. The week before finals is the worst at school. The kids just want to be done (so do I for that matter). For the past two weeks, I have stayed at school until 4:30pm. I know that doesn't sound late, but normally I'm outta there at 3:45pm on the dot! Reviewing for finals is painful and boring but it's dumb to start a new chapter 1 week before finals. While the kids praying for a snow day, I'm praying that the snow can wait. If there's a snow day, my plans are down the toilet. (Yes I'm OCD about my beloved school plans too.)

   The good news is finals are over and I have completed all of my grading. We have had no snow days. Adam put up our tree and I have actually pulled out a few decorations. We are two people away from finishing our family Christmas shopping. We are trying to avoid the mall during the weekends at all costs and well, the restaurant thing still sucks but I'm trying to make sure I have a granola bar for those annoying waits. Hopefully with school being out, I will be able to finally relax with my boys and enjoy the Christmas season! I'm excited to spend my 2 free weeks with Harrison and the doggies!
How can you not be happy with me? I'm a bundle of fun!

~Emily
  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment